Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Just Do It -- It's Not Just a Nike Thing!

Having been home for a couple of days, I am about back to normal. Normal with regards to sleep patterns, but hardly normal as to the impact of my second trip to the Nigerian bush. My heart still aches for the people there. Though the Nigerian people as a whole appear to be the happiest people on the earth, many of them do not have a relationship with God through Jesus Christ.

The tribe which our church has engaged -- the Z people -- consist of approximately 10,000 people. Both researchers and the Z people themselves estimate that 4 out of every 5 in their tribe are Muslims. Converting from Islam is illegal so the ministry there is slow. While we were their over the past couple of weeks, we had a few inquiries from Muslims. Obviously, they had to be careful. But what I witnessed the miraculous power of God's Spirit at work.

What my experience has done for me is to ache for my people -- those who live in my town, my state, my country. As I write, I can see cars pass by our church campus. Many of those driving by hardly recognize that they are passing by a church. It's just another piece of the landscape. I've come to grips again with the fact that buildings don't share the good news -- I must -- we must.

Just like the Z people who don't come to know Jesus Christ will spend an eternity in hell, people in my town who don't know Jesus will spend an eternity in hell. God has called us all to tell the best news ever. Let's just do it!

No comments: