Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Mardi Gras and Super Bowl Weekend

Down here in Southeast Louisiana, there's a blurring of events. While the attention of the rest of nation focuses on the University of Phoenix Stadium where the Patriots and Giants will do battle in Super Bowl XLII, people in the New Orleans area make other kinds of plans.

For the past week, communities on both sides of Lake Ponchartrain have reveled in various Carnival parades. Mandeville, Covington, Slidell, and villages on the Northshore have been busy with parades last weekend and this weekend. Parade season will climax with the "big" parades in New Orleans beginning this weekend and culminating on Fat Tuesday.

And all the while, the rest of the country have their eyes on the Big Game. Most everyone I've asked want the Giants to win. Some because of Eli Manning, who hails from New Orleans, and others because they don't want New England to have a perfect season. I suppose I fall into the later category. I remember back in 1972 that I didn't want the Miami Dolphins to win the Super Bowl and go 17-0. But they did, and my life went on. If the Patriots win, life will go on as well.

You know it's not that I don't want any team to go undefeated. It would be okay if it was my team that was going undefeated. My team? In 1972 it was the Dallas Cowboys. After all, I am from North Texas and grew up watching "America's Team" before it was known as "America's Team."

But the Cowboys aren't my favorite team today. No, today my team has to be the New Orleans Saints. That transformation took place since I've lived in Mandeville. Now for the Saints to have perfect season would be nothing short of the biggest football mircale of all time. So I don't suppose I'll be pulling for any team to have a perfect season soon.

I've been asked if I'll be going to any of the parades this weekend. My answer, "No, I've only gone to one parade since I've lived in Mandeville. That was in 1998. I didn't get it. I saw no reason to be cold, stand in a crowd along a street, and catch cheap beads."

So on Sunday, you'll find me at a Super Bowl party hoping that Eli and the Giants can pull the big upset and knock of Tom Brady and the Patriots. On Fat Tuesday, I'll be no where near a parade. But I will be enjoying a holiday that most of the rest of the country will not have. You'll find me at home hopefuly enjoying some spring weather.

No comments: